Brushing is a must if you want your child’s oral health to be on point. But, it is necessary to keep certain things in mind while selecting the toothpaste and toothbrush for your child. With so many options available, choosing the correct products may seem to be a difficult task. Oral hygiene is something that should be started early in childhood and continued throughout one’s life. Dental professionals advise that the sooner one begins to practice good dental hygiene, the better for one’s teeth. As a result, if you have a small child, reading this blog will be beneficial in learning how to choose a toothbrush and toothpaste.
Tips To Consider While Selecting A Toothbrush
Selecting a suitable toothbrush for your child is often a difficult task. The only explanation for this is that specific information about the products is mostly not available on the package. However, we believe that carefully reading the recommendations below will make the work of purchasing a toothbrush much easier.
- You should be careful to make sure that the toothbrush should be the right size for your child’s mouth. There is no guarantee that one size will fit all mouths. When purchasing a toothbrush for your child, choose one that can easily reach the rear of the farthest molar on each side of his/her mouth. It is recommended that you purchase a toothbrush with a tiny brush head, soft bristles, and a grip so that your child can hold the brush without difficulty.
- You might have seen that kids are usually in the mood of getting done with most of their routine tasks in a hurry. It’s no different when it comes to brushing their teeth. According to dentists, over-aggressive brushing can cause enamel loss, which ultimately leads to sensitivity and other dental problems. It is due to this reason that pediatric dentists recommend that you purchase toothbrushes with “medium” or “soft” bristles.
- Another issue that has emerged in recent years is the introduction of electric toothbrushes. Should you purchase these for your children? The answer to this question is “the choice is absolutely yours”. Moreover, due to the obstruction caused by their orthodontic braces, children with braces often have difficulty brushing with a manual toothbrush. Using an electric toothbrush to clean those hard-to-reach spots may be more effective.
We hope that you will now face no confusion while buying a toothbrush for your child.
Things To Consider While Buying A Toothpaste
As said previously, there are numerous toothpaste brands available in the market. Choosing only one may appear to be a challenging task to accomplish. It’s worth noting that most manufacturers make toothpaste with erosive compounds that help remove plaque and stains, as well as play a vital role in strengthening the enamel. The thickness of the paste, fluoride concentration and tastes are the only differences between these products. You should be aware that toothpaste containing too much fluoride can be detrimental to children’s primary teeth. In any case, the following are essential considerations to keep in mind while choosing toothpaste for children:
- Primary teeth begin to erupt in youngsters between the ages of one and two years and require frequent tooth brushing. You should be aware that maintaining primary teeth is essential for healthy speech output, jaw development, and chewing. Brushing the teeth is also a form of preventative dentistry, as it helps to prevent decay, bad breath, and gum disease. If you have a child in this age group, consider using fluoride-free toothpaste. You can also make brushing fun for your kid by just adopting a few measures.
- If your child is between the ages of 2 and 5, you can begin using fluoride-containing toothpaste. When buying toothpaste, be sure to check for the ADA logo. You can also choose a flavor that your children will enjoy.
Now that you are aware of the tips to consider while buying toothpaste and toothbrush and your kid, make sure that he/she is taking proper care of oral health. In case, you have any further queries related to this topic, do not hesitate to get in touch with us. Here at Jupiter Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics, we offer a wide array of dental treatments under one roof. It is our good fortune to have the best pediatric dentists in Allen, TX. All you gotta do is just give us a call to book your appointment.